I have started to add some Uroboros fracture and streamer glass code 11-296 down the right hand side of the panel, still thinking of add a small strip of water glass at the bottom of the panel.I like to use glasses with different texture as I feel it really adds to the overall effect. I’ve added the last two flowers and the rest of the fracture and streamer here and I think it definitely needs the water glass to complete the panel. Water glass added and all the pieces are now cut, I am quite happy with the result so far however before I start to foil I will put the panel on the light-box. On the light-box now and although it’s difficult to see I’m quite happy with the way everything looks so the next step is to start foiling.
One is never sure how a color scheme is going to pan out so I have started this panel by cutting a flower, some background and leaves.I have tried different colored centers for the flowers and have settled on Youghiogheny ” Laburnum ” glass. I may yet change these as the panel develops. I have added more of the background glass now which is Youghiogheny stipple glass, code NO 57 ” Neodymium Pink with Peach Gold & Bubblegum “. More background and more flowers and leaves now, flower glass is Youghiogheny code N367 ” Neodymium Pink, Dark Purple and Blue”. Leaves are also Youghiogheny code 1431 ” Lime and Emerald Green “ I have taken the background glass down the left hand side of the panel here and am thinking of introducing some fracture and streamer glass on the right hand side, and also some water effect along the bottom of the panel.
For this project I have taken a pattern I designed for a 305 mm diameter clematis pattern and enlarged it to 474 mm, I am also going to adapt it slightly to incorporate a water glass effect, here is the original panel
Client likes this design but would prefer the color scheme used in this panel..
So I have enlarged my PDF pattern and printed it out I will now make two copies, one for my template and one for cutting the glass pieces, I am going to adapt the pattern slightly at the bottom but will do this when I have most of it cut. Using a router and a sheet of 4 mm MDF I have cut a round template at 464 mm diameter which I have fixed to a base board using horse shoe nails, this allows for the width of the perimeter lead which will finish the panel at 474 mm. These calculations have to be quite exact and are well worth spending time on.
This is the top frame nearly complete and everything lining up and looking good at the moment. Top frame now complete and first two panels of bottom frame in. Glad to see this panel go in as it represents the real focal point of the whole piece. This is the completed piece taken through the glass screen on the upper floor./www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/”>
With all the panels and the two frames complete it was time to install the piece, first job was to fix the two frames into the window recesses top and bottom. The frames were designed to fit flush up against the window exactly matching the existing frames. Frames installed and first big sigh of relief, now for the panels. We decided to start at the top and work across and down, the top frame is actually six inches taller than the bottom frame.Here are the first two panels in situ, so far so good. This is panel no three installed, I think this is the largest panel so we were glad to see it in place.This concluded our first days work.
Mid April now in Ireland and we are still waiting for spring to arrive, this magnolia pattern is available in the current issue of Glass Patterns Quarterly along with a full step by step tutorial. This magazine is packed full of projects and all the latest info on hot and cold glass, available in print and digital versions. https://www.glasspatterns.com/index.php?option=com_mijoshop&view=product&product_id=1204&Itemid=49
Once again I have started with the outside panels, I have added the flowers to introduce a bit more colour into the composition. The red and white represents the school sports colours as well as Fethard village colours. The right hand side has one panel and the two go on the left.
Here is the central panel under construction, there are a lot of curves in this panel which made it very labour intensive. Here is the panel completely cut and ready to be soldered at all the joints, followed by cementing. We now have all sixteen panels completed so its just a case of installing the frames and hoping everything lines up, Fingers crossed.
For the bottom section of the window I took a slightly different approach by making the side panels first, here are panels 9 and 10 in situ in the frame before being cemented.
The central panel was quite important in the overall appearance of the window and involved some tricky cuts so by doing it last I was able to line everything up Here is the central panel with panel no 12 the gap in between the two panels is 150mm which represents the frame,you can see now how everything lines up.
Here is panel no 10 showing the left hand side.This completes the third section of the window.
In between commission work we like to create pieces for publication in ” Glass Patterns Quarterly ” This magazine contains all the latest news from the stained glass world and numerous projects and tutorials covering all aspects of glasswork both hot and cold. Cobweb Eddy is in the current issue with a full tutorial to help you construct this bad boy in time for Halloween. © David Kennedy 2017
Here is the link : https://www.glasspatterns.com/current-issue.html should you wish to purchase.