The Story Behind The Design
The starting point for this Two Irises panel was the upper background piece of glass. I had this leftover from a previous commission and wanted to make full use of its beautiful colors. The original panel is 15-inch diameter and I had enough for the area above the flowers. The purple glass looked so good against it making the Two Irises an obvious choice. For the lower background, behind the leaves, I found another leftover piece that fitted the space. I sketched out my design idea and spent a little time making sure of the position of the flowers. It was important to me to get as much of the upper background in as possible. After all, this was the whole point of making this panel. Having settled on my finished pattern I set about cutting out the glass pieces, 59 in total.
The Story Behind The Border
The finished panel looked superb even if I say so myself, I couldn’t believe how well it turned out. But there was one thing I wasn’t happy about. At the centre of the panel between the Two Irises, I have a central leave that runs from the top to the bottom of the panel. This was an integral part of my design but it creates a slight weakness in the structure of the panel. This is what is known as a “hinge Joint” and is something you want to avoid if at all possible. Now I wasn’t going to take my panel apart so my only option was to strengthen the perimeter. One of the best ways to add strength to any panel is by adding a border.
So here it is my completed panel hanging in a window.