After adding more blooms on both sides the picture is starting to emerge, really feels like it is coming together now. I still have the seed pods and some flower centers to do but for now I am concentrating on the remaining flowers.
Nearly there now, just have the last three flowers to do.Once every piece is cut I will then commence foiling, making any further adjustments as I proceed. The next process would be the first solder on the front of the panel. Panel is then very carefully turned over and the first solder repeated on the rear. I would then add the 12 mm zinc framing before doing the final bead soldering of all the seams. Panel would then have to be thoroughly cleaned before patina can be applied. Acetone can be very useful in preparing the Zinc prior to application.
Here is the completed panel, lit from behind by daylight.I am really pleased with the way this has turned out, it is so nice to be able to bring a project to fruition so long after the initial idea.
I have made this pattern available for sale as a PDF download just follow this link : https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/685261657/poppies-at-slade-stained-glass-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_38https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/685261657/poppies-at-slade-stained-glass-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_38
Pattern prints full size 34.5″ x 23″ ( 880 mm x 590 mm ) on twelve sheets of A4 paper. Alternatively you can take the PDF file to a print shop and have it printed on one sheet of paper. I can provide custom sizes and adjustments if required. Thank you for your time and interest in my work.
I have called this post ” Slade Poppies Part 2 ” as it is about bringing the top and bottom section together.The second row of flowers have now been added and at this point I am quite happy with the way things are progressing. Even so one can never be sure exactly how it’s going to look once the back lighting is introduced. The method I use is to hold the glass up to the light and make my selection before cutting and proceed that way. It’s the same system I use for all my work, something I have developed over many years. A lot of glass artists like to mount their pieces on a sheet of clear glass using Blu Tack which is then held up to the light. This provides a comprehensive preview of the panel, although it would be fairly time consuming.
With the top and bottom sections progressing so well I have now decided to build the two sides. This will help connect the two sections together. Starting out with the right hand side which worked out well I then moved onto the left. I have also added a couple of blooms just above the leaves. Feeling pretty good about the way it’s going now and looking forward to filling in the middle section.
The story of this Poppies at Slade panel began around five years ago. While in the UK on a family holiday I was fortunate enough to visit https://www.kansacraft.co.uk/stainedglass18/upload/ in Yorkshire where I purchased these two fantastic sheets of Uroboros art glass. This glass has become very hard to obtain in Europe so to find two whole sheets definitely made my day. I have created many poppy panels over the years as the grow wild down here in Slade and are a constant inspiration so my first thoughts were of a large poppy panel. it has however taken this long to bring it to fruition.
This sheet was where I created the basic structure of the panel. Using fairly transparent tracing paper I sketched out the flowers and then adjusted them to suit the background. This way I was able to select the background glass I wanted to show. I also wanted to add a soil layer at the bottom of the panel which gave me a bit to play with in my glass selection. Code for this sheet is Uroboros – 10 – 16 Light and dark browns, turquoise with mini fractures.
Code for this sheet is Uroboros 60 – 25 Red and orange with white. This sheet I would use for my poppies. Once again I would need another glass for some foliage. I wanted to try and weave these two sheets together just using the color within the glass to create the panel. The background glass in particular made me think of a Liberty/Art Nouveau feel. I started a design but for one reason or another I had to put it aside. Eventually in October of 2018 I managed to get back to it and produce three patterns, one full size ( 23 x 34.5 inches ) one reduced size ( 15.75 x 36 inches ) and a pair of door panels ( 10.25 x 36.75 inches ) each panel with an optional border.
When using art glass you always seem to end up with odd pieces that you simply have to get into a panel, which is the case here, The background glass dictated everything, the colour of the irises compliments it so well. Only enough for a small panel though.